Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Looting

Listening to the reports coming out of New Orleans, and Biloxi, I wonder how long it will be before we hear reports of looters shot on sight.

The National Guard and police forces are stretched thin, and will be tasked with even more over the coming days. If a complete evacuation of the city is indeed ordered as seems likely, what to do with the scum of humanity who stay behind? Looters are nothing more than that. They prey upon those already visited with tragedy. I would not be surprised to hear of a young National Guard troop (or police officer) shooting looters who later turned out to be unarmed.

Yet there are reports now of looters in New Orleans firing upon the police. That is a very bad idea on their part. Once the National Guard's role switches from rescue to restoring order, the looters will find out just how bad an idea that really is indeed. I don't have the numbers in front of me now, but I'm pretty sure that among the National Guard are a large number of combat veteran troops from service in Iraq and Afghanistan who will have little pity on them. Shooting at a cop is one thing, but shooting at a combat hardened trooper is quite another.

This is indeed an epic moment in our nation's history. As we witness the events unfolding now, I wonder how the younger generation views this? Do they grasp the importance of what is happening? I must confess I am watching and taking it all in, but do not yet have a complete grasp of the whole thing yet. That type of reflection is best done after the thing, not during.

No comments: