Monday, September 05, 2005

An Open Letter to President Bush

I've read and re-read the open letter to President Bush posted on Michael Moore's website.

If I found the man amusing before, I find his latest diatribe nauseating. He sits on his throne built on lies and spews forth his venom. I am glad that he has the freedom to post worthless dribble such as this but his manner of doing so leaves a lot to be desired.

Here are some excerpts from the letter:

"I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana..."
What exactly does Mr Moore expect the president to be able to do in Louisiana that he couldn't do better and more efficiently elsewhere? Especially anywhere else that has power? Would his presence on the ground (along with the security incumbent with the office) have helped matters in the opening hours of the crisis? I hardly think so, and surely Mr Moore isn't dumb enough to think so either. He just wants his readers to be dumb enough to think that that is the case. Shame on you Mr Moore!

"And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees..."

Now it's also this President's fault that the levees were not high enough? I think I've addressed that issue earlier, but just for the record: at least 8 previous administrations, Republican and Democrat, had similar opportunities in my lifetime.

"No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!"

But the most viscous and low of all was his playing the race card at the end. Despite his veiled attempt at sarcasm, he wants us to think that race is the issue here. Michael Moore, that reaches a new low, even for you. So please, stay in south Florida, but don't try to paint this presidency with the tar of racism. That is beneath you sir.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

obviously sir you are a republican. I laud Michael Moores truths....as a canadian we are not so close to the problem that we can't see it...unlike so many right wing fundamentalist americans.

Chris Grantham said...

And what truths would those be sir? The truth that race baiting is a tactic practiced by scoundrels?

My politics are my own, and not beholden to any one party. And as I have said regarding the heights of the leveess: both parties, local and federal can shoulder the blame equally.

As as American, I am painfully aware of what has happened. As a former reisdent of Mississippi, more so that most, having seen the scars left from hurricane Camille visible 15 years later. Having lived through a number of them, more than well aware.