Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I am usually not one for Oscar hype. It seems that more often than not, the movie that wins the Oscars is not one I would enjoy. So it was with no little trepidation that I went to see "Slumdog Millionaire" last night with my wife. We had wanted to see it on the weekend but with so many things going on that just wasn't in the cards.

We both really liked this movie. I liked it enough that it will be one I will own when it comes out on DVD. The acting was wonderful, the score was great and the scenery spectacular. Now the scenery wasn't spectacular in a National Geographic fashion. It depicted the slums of India and the daily lives of its inhabitants. It is not a pretty way to live. I have seen slums, but they take on a whole new meaning when your population is north of a billion souls.

The one thing that kept nagging at me after the movie was I felt I had seen the movie before. The themes during the movie reminded me of Oliver Twist and Great Expectations (to a lesser degree). I just wish I could put my finger on it.

But no matter what, this is a very good movie and one I highly recommend.

No comments: