Monday, April 03, 2006

It's so nice now that spring is finally here. I had the chance to come home, change and go running (two miles). It's a great way to let the stress from the day melt away. Today was tough run though. It's incredibly windy out and fighting a headwind almost killed me. Now that I'm home the wind is howling. I have the windows open and the wind is pushing the blinds open and closed. Shadow is not amused by all the noise and commotion.

I have been following all the hoopla surrounding the immigration issue. While I understand both sides, my question is why now? Why is now the time to discuss this? What precipitated it all?

This is not a new problem. This has been an issue for well over one hundred years. While the nationality of the immigrants (legal or otherwise) has changed, the attitudes towards them have not. The story remains the same. What do we do with the (Italians, Irish, Vietnamese, Cubans, fill in the blank)? The poor are always leaving their homes to seek a better life elsewhere. I saw this in Spain with the North Africans (Morrocans mostly). In Greece it was the gypsies. However, these were commonly reviled all over the Mediterranean where I visited. Some of their reputation was deserved, but most was not. Yes they had thieves that traveled among them, but they numbered less than the native thieves.

There is more to be said on this, and I'll revisit this later.

No comments: