Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Nanny State

It is spring time and the trees and flowers are full of pollen. When you add in a low front moving through, that spells trouble for me and my sinuses.

I was scheduled to go to a friends 40th birthday party tonight at 7:30. I went out today to do some shopping for the house, and stopped by a local CVS pharmacy. I picked up the CVS brand of Claritin D 24 hour sinus medication and took it to the counter to pay and be on my way. When I pulled out my wallet I noticed the lady at the counter pull out a large notebook. She asked me for my id. I thought she wanted to verify it against my debit card I was using and showed it to her. She then asked me to take it out as she needed to write down my name and address. I asked her why she needed that. She informed me that a new federal law was in effect and they were required to take the information on me. Needless to say, I told her no thank you. She seemed shocked, but I politely informed her I wouldn't be making the purchase.

I understand what the intent of the law. Sinus and cold medication contains a precursor that drug dealers use to manufacture methamphetamine. Had I been purchasing a large amount I might have understood. However, I had intended to purchase a box containing 10 tablets. I am becoming more frustrated with the onerous requirements thrust upon us by our government. Between the machinations of the TSA to this new silliness, where will it all end?

No comments: