Tuesday, July 26, 2005

One down, 9 to go

One down and nine to go.

I gave my Icebreaker speech today and it was well received. "Looking into life's rear view mirror" was it's title and got high marks form my fellow toastmasters.

One valuable lesson that was learned (more a re-learn) is that I knew what "perfect" was, but not my audience. While I recognized and passed over minor errors, mostly my audience never knew.

Another lesson learned (the hard way) was "Be Prepared". The Boy Scout motto came in handy today. I had scheduled one person for the job of Table Topics master, but as I hadn't heard from him, readied some on my own. When he didn't show, I was able to pass along the prepared topics for someone else to use, and make the transition that much smoother.

When a law is good enough for the people, surely it is good enough for their rulers?
Shouldn't that be the case? Buried in the middle of the article is a local example common practices on a national level. While a small business owner may not post advertising on public land, a politician may. While it is a minor point, it is a symptom of Washington writ small.

No comments: