Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day two and Firefox

Some more observations on Ubuntu. I brought out my jump drive this afternoon and plugged it in to the usb slot. I wasn't greeted with any obnoxious noises from the machine but didn't see anything happen either. After a brief moment of holding my breath, I notice on the desk top in big bold letters the name of the jump drive! I was able to open up the drive, and see a list of the files I knew to be on there.

Now for the big test. Could I open the files and see what was on them. There was a Powerpoint presentation, a MS Word document and a spreadsheet. Open Office was able to open all and I was able to work with all three. Hurray, another minor hurdle overcome and yet more (mostly) seamless and (basically) painless work with Linux!

However, here comes the sticky point. I am sure it's on here somewhere, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. When I exit from Firefox it kindly asks me if I want to save my tabs. I thank it kindly and tell it that I really would like to save them. Unfortunately, when I re-open Firefox it hasn't saved the tabs. It looks at me with that dumb expression and says, "Tabs? What tabs are you looking for?". Sigh. I am certain that I am missing a preference box somewhere I will just need to hunt down that little sucker!

No comments: